Monday, October 24, 2011

WEEKEND REVIEW - OCTOBER 23, 2011

Yesterday I had the opportunity to just attend church, be a part of the congregation, and be led in worship by my friend Matt Ross. As much as I love leading worship, I also love the occasional week where I'm not on stage at all, but rather sitting with my wife and taking everything in. I think weekends like this are good for me for three reasons:

1) It reminds me that it's not about me. The church doesn't need me in order to worship Jesus. Jesus doesn't need me to lead people in worship to Him. Rather, I am privileged to play a small role in facilitating worship from week to week, and God in His goodness and kindness chooses to use me to that end.

2) Every leader needs to also be led by others. Yesterday I had the opportunity to sit under Matt's leadership, and to learn from him. One of the things Matt does well is give leadership away. Here's what I mean: Matt had another band member start almost every song in the set, and he also gave Melissa (the other vocalist) places to lead the song where he stopped singing or backed off the mic. I do this sometimes, but probably not as often as I could (or should) when I'm leading.

3) It allows me to connect one-on-one with more people. On weeks when I am leading or in the band, I have to be watching the clock before services to make sure I'm on stage in time for the prelude. After the service, by the time I get off stage and make my way back to the lobby, many people have already left, especially first-time visitors. Sometimes it kills me to see people's faces during worship for several months before I ever get a chance to meet them and learn their name (although as our church continues to grow I recognize that this is a reality). This past weekend I had the opportunity to meet some newer people, and also to connect more with people I usually only see in passing or from the stage.

I would encourage every worship leader to plan in weekends at least once every couple months where you can simply attend your church and not be leading. At the same time, I recognize that for some this is nearly impossible to do.

I'm thankful that my pastor allows me the opportunity to do this every so often, and I am also thankful for other capable leaders in our church who step up and lead when asked.

Here's the set that Matt planned:

Instrumental Prelude: Give Us Clean Hands [G]
Call to Worship: Psalm 98:4
Blessed Be Your Name [G]
Nothing But the Blood (Redman) [A] ->
right into Because of Your Love (Wickham) [A]
Announcements
Growing Together faith story
Announce Kids & Youth GT Commitment Totals
GT Video



Message - Dave Corlew
Growing Together In Giving - "Becoming Good Givers"

How Marvelous (I Stand Amazed) [G]

No comments:

Post a Comment