Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Weekend Service Review #6 - March 15, 2009

It was a good day on Sunday. We originally planned on doing just one song up front and three in the middle package, but as I was thinking about the order over the weekend I realized that it can be hard to focus on worshiping the Lord if you only have one song to do it in at a time. Let me explain: when we gather as the church for worship, there are often a thousand other thoughts going through our heads and hearts, and often it takes a few songs before we can really start to focus on worshiping the Lord and soaking up the songs we're singing. I noticed this in myself when I visited a church a few weeks back, and I found myself thinking about the tempo, instrumentation, environment I was in, the weather outside, etc. etc. etc. It wasn't until about the third song that I started to consciously bring my thoughts and emotions together and truly engage with the lyrics we were singing.

So that is a bit of the reasoning why we moved "Jesus Paid It All" up to the opening package this past Sunday. Here's what the service looked like after the change:

Instrumental Prelude: Sing to the King (E) by Billy Foote
Welcome & announcements
-Happy Day (B) by Tim Hughes
-Jesus Paid It All (B) - hymn w/ chorus by Alex Nifong
Holy Week Preview - Dave
Part 1 Message - Dave
-From the Inside Out (C) by Joel Houston
(Comment about giving God control of our lives - transition into Center)
-Center (E) by Charlie Hall
Part 2 Message - Dave
-In Christ Alone (E) by Keith Getty & Stuart Townend
Benediction - Philippians 4:1

Oh ... and in case you were wondering, here's what our service order looks like on paper (click on the image to blow it up):

No comments:

Post a Comment