Sunday, April 12, 2009

Transposr.com - What a life saver!



I've been meaning to blog about this resource I found recently - Transposr.com.

This free online tool is every musician's best friend. You can take any chord chart or mp3 file and upload it to the site, tell it what key the original is in and what key you want to transpose it into, and it will transpose it for you. Say for example, you want to do the song "Hosanna" by Brooke Fraser, but you have a guy leading the song, so you will most likely want to change the key it is in. Well, the original key is E, and you want to change it to G. Simply upload your mp3 to the site, enter your parameters, and wa - la!

Our team has found this resource particularly helpful when we are doing a song in a different key than the original, and we need to listen to the mp3 in rehearsal for each band member to learn their part. It's a lot easier to listen to the song and learn it in the key we are actually doing it in!

The one downside I've found with transposing an mp3 this way is that it screws with the vocals quite a bit. Like in Hosanna, when I transposed it from E to G, it made Brooke sounds like Minnie Mouse! So it's probably not a recording you would want to use for anything except rehearsing purposes. Still, I think this is a resource that will save me time in the long run when I need to transpose a chord sheet or mp3.

Has anyone else come across any good tools like this? If so, please leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment